Practical Tips for Installing Underlayments in Cool Weather
MFM Building Products produces a number of self-adhering, or self-stick, underlayments that typically have a minimum installation temperature. In general, MFM recommends installing its roofing underlayments in fair weather at temperatures at 50°F (10°C). Warmer temperatures enhance the adhesion properties of the rubberized asphalt membrane, reducing the chance of encountering problems during installation.
Should the underlayment need to be installed in temperatures below 50°F (10°C), the following recommendations should be considered:
- Always follow the product's installation instructions carefully
- Make sure there is no moisture present on the substrate - moisture, dew or frost will prevent the product from fully adhering to the substrate
- Prepare all masonry, bare metal, and aged or damaged wood surfaces with an asphalt-based primer - allow primer to completely dry before applying product
- Keep the underlayment in a heated area such as a building, vehicle or hot box with a temperature of 60°F (15°C) or greater
- An electric air gun or hair dryer may be used to gently warm the membrane and substrate
- Always roll the entire surface, paying special attention to any overlap area, for full contact with the substrate
- MFM Spray Ahesive™ can be used as needed in cool weather installations
If you questions concerning the installation of MFM Building Product underlayments, please contact MFM Technical Services by calling 800-882-7663.